Sunday, April 5, 2009

Getting Out Frustrations

Today, Cade played a soccer game in Salem against a team he felt his team should beat. He worked very hard all game, scoring his team's 3 goals. With 2 minutes to go in the game and the score tied 3-3 his team was awarded a penalty kick and Cade was told he should take it. Well, he missed it, less than a foot wide. I was across the field but the pain on his face was easy to see. He scrambled the last two minutes trying to score but the final whistle blew and it finished a 3-3 tie. It was a tough ride home. He was so upset saying he was embarrassed and that he disappointed his team. There were tears and he said it was the worst day ever, etc, etc. We talked much of the way home about all the great players, uncles, cousins and me who have missed PK's and that all we can do is our best and learn from our experiences, etc, etc. He was much better by the time we got home and he proceeded to go outside and get the rest of his frustration out on the soccer field in our yard. Our boy is so hard on himself. I worry about him sometimes but then I look back at how much progress he has made and know he'll be okay. We love you Cade and we really don't care if you make those PK's!

3 comments:

MarcusJacob said...

Cade, when I was playing on my semi-pro team in SF we were in the semi-finals of a tournament and I was the penalty taker on the team. The game ended after overtime in a tie against a team we should have beat and went to a shootout. I was the first guy to kick to start the team off ahead but I missed and we lost the shootout! It was hard to let go but if you keep your confidence up and work hard then you'll get another opportunity to nail it next time!

Amber said...

“The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a different way.” I think this is / will be Cade, evidenced by him being out on the soccer field practicing and practicing some more! The trait will serve him well in a lot of ways :) Great pics too sis.

Leticia said...

Such good advice Am & Marcus! Thanks!