Thursday, July 7, 2011

Willem's a Sprinter!

Willem competed in his first All-Comers Track Meet yesterday (aside from running the 60 meters as a four year old)! It was another one of those moments where I just felt privileged to be his mom. He had soccer practice in the 85 degree heat and afterwards I mentioned maybe competing in the meet. Willem right away said 'Sure, I think I can win'! He had no running shoes, just cleats, and was fine with running barefoot; luckily Daddy came through and brought his shoes! He then just had a great attitude throughout and proceeded to run the 100 meters, 400 meters and 200 meters coming in 1st, 2nd and 1st, respectively (each race had 7-15 competitors all 7 years old like Willem). He was just so happy and we had so much fun watching him and cheering him on. 




Willem's times might improve a little if he stopped looking over (and behind) at the competition!

For future reference, here are Willem's times: 
100 meters: 17.3 seconds
400 meters: 1:33 minutes (went out really fast and paid for it half way through the race :)!
200 meters: 37.3 seconds

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Your 7 year old is AMAZING!!!!!

Amber said...

How awesome Leticia! Will is such a good sport, such a natural. I love that Jacoby looks up to him soooo much!! Nice work Will!