Thursday, July 19, 2012

All Comers' Meet

Willem just loves going to the All Comers' Meets at the UO. It might have something to do with the fact that before yesterday, he had only lost once (well gotten 2nd) in anything he has entered. He is fast and springy like his dad and his brother. As a kid, I sometimes wondered what it would be like to be that kid that always won and was known as being fast. That wasn't me, but I have to admit it's pretty fun being on the parent side of it :)

Yesterday, Amber and I took Antonia, Jacoby, Willem and Genevieve to the All Comers' Meet. They had a blast! They all had smiles on their faces pretty much the whole time...except Willem when he found out he was 5th (and not first) in the softball throw! Willem did win his heat of the 100 meters in a time of 16.3 seconds. He also won the long jump (out of 20 boys) with a jump of 9' 8". In the softball throw, he threw 88 feet. 

Genevieve did the softball throw, long jump and 60 meter dash. She, like her cousins, was excited to get a ribbon in all her events (all kids ages 1-6 get a generic ribbon). Nev actually won her heat of the 60 meter dash and when I asked her how it went, she said "I won" and I asked how the other kids did and she said, "they lost". I guess there's a little competitiveness in her as well :)

Nia and J were adorable to watch. Nia had the best form of the group in the long jump; she took that and the other events pretty seriously and seemed to really try her best and she did great. Jacoby was just happy being there not really caring about winning but loving the excitement, ribbons and dirt!

Thanks to my sis for a great picture of Willem's long jump

Historic Hayward Field







 
 Willem far left, ahead in the 100 meters
 

Nia is just adorable :)


 
While I was in Seattle for Cade and Elle's tournament in June, Willem went to the All Comers Meet with Grandma. It was held in the middle of the Olympic Trials which made it extra special. He had a great time competing and volunteering. He was proud to show off his blue ribbons to me when I returned.


And here's a link to a video of Willem's race at Hayward Field in June 2012 (he's the leaders/winner in lane 5): 

http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?video_id=72624#ooid=FoanA4NTqNNJqAuyTvF7nsbrEcbGD9SS

3 comments:

Amber said...

Yea, we LOVED doing this with you guys!! The little kids were so adorable... what a great memory. I really like the pictures of Willem competing. He's fun to watch and capturing him in action is fun for me :) Great summary of the event, especially the kids' reactions to all of the events. THANKS!!

Marilyn said...

ok - more laughing out loud as I read and saw the pictures. Still chuckling - adorable!

MarcusJacob said...

Definitely some speedsters and competitors in the family! Would be fun to watch!