Sunday, April 1, 2012

Spring Break 2012

I am always envious of friends who head off somewhere warm for Spring Break. It's a little tough seeing all the Facebook posts of friends in tropical vacation spots. 'One of these years', I tell myself. For now we are resigned to stay in the Northwest mostly because of our kids' soccer commitments which leave us with only a few open days during the break. We did, however, make the most of what we had and I still really enjoyed the break.

The kids got a couple extra days of off with the six inches of snow that fell Wednesday before Spring Break. Nev loved it and played outside quite a bit; she and I made a snowman together. Cade, Gabrielle and Willem loved having cousins come over to our house and they all went to James and Jenn's where they played in the forest and had snowball fights...



Thursday night before the official break started, Cade and I went to the opening night/morning (12:15 am!) showing of 'The Hunger Games'. It was later than I'd like but it was fun going with Cade knowing how much he looked forward to it...


A couple days into the break, Gabrielle and Athena went to 'The Hunger Games' at the mall, so Genevieve, Willem and I enjoyed a few hours of shopping, eating and playing on the playground at the mall. I loved hanging out with my two youngest...

Enjoying frozen yogurt. Yummy! These two are looking a lot alike!

 Nev visited the Easter Bunny at the mall and she was so friendly and excited to see him. It was very cute and I was surprised since she was afraid of Santa Claus a few months ago.

The first weekend of the break, Cade played in the Oregon Development Program (ODP) regional tournament in Eugene which is basically a tryout for the state ODP team. It was a little nerve-wracking this year because Cade's knees have been hurting pretty badly recently so he was not 100% for the tryout. Thankfully, he made the team and was pretty relieved! The second weekend of the break, Cade had his first two state ODP practices (in Salem). With a couple days of rest, lots of icing and some Advil, his knees were feeling a little better and he did great in the practices. We look forward to more state ODP practices and tournaments in May and June...



Tuesday through Thursday, our three oldest kids did the EMFC Spring Break camp. Elle and Cade actually skipped out their Thursday afternoon camp because it was time to head north to the Great Wolf Lodge hotel/swim park in Washington. We all had a great time; Cade met a couple boys there and pretty much hung out with them the whole time, swimming and playing in the arcade. Gabrielle and Willem loved the slides, especially when Chad or I went with them; they also loved the arcade and just swimming. Genevieve enjoyed the smaller slides (after a little coaxing by us) but mostly loved just playing 'pirate' and 'swimming' in the kids' area. Our nearly 24 hours there went by very fast...



"But Daddy, I want a PINK life vest!"


After Great Wolf, we headed to Portland (while listening to our 'Eragon' books on cd; we are on the 4th book) and relaxed in our downtown hotel (the coolest hotel ever according to Willem)...

Watching 'Puss N Boots' in the hotel :)

The next afternoon, after Cade's ODP practice, we headed to the Portland Saturday Market, the riverfront and downtown for a little shopping and then some dinner. I do love Portland! Just wish we had more time to see all of our family and friends there! It was interesting to see, once again, that Cade really loves the city. He thought the Saturday Market was so cool and just loves being where the action is and around all different sorts of people. Will, on the other hand, is not as much a fan of city life; "It's just ok", he says and he definitely prefers the country. Elle is like me, she likes it but also likes the country; "I'm somewhere in between", she says :)

Willem and Genevieve loved watching the bridge lift and seeing the high water of the river

We were so lucky to have no rain and even some sunshine in our afternoon walking downtown.

In the 'Max' tram

Nev's new outfit; all pink of-course!


 Dinner at Rock Bottom. Yum!

Nev all snuggled up in our hotel bed 

One last fun pic of me I took in the hotel :) (our kids are always taking pics of themselves in the mirror...thought I'd give it a try!)

3 comments:

Bethany Fegles Photography said...

What a fun spring break full of making great memories! You guys make this stage of life look so fun!
And I agree, your two youngest are looking more and more alike. What cute kids you have. :)

Amber said...

I always love your posts! So many memories from just one week. It's not Hawaii, but it seems like some pretty great family time! I think you'll love all of these iPhone pictures. Without them you wouldn't have captured so many of these memories. Looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!! :)

Marilyn said...

You do such a great job of making the BEST out of the time you have. Wayy more fun than Hawaii - no challenge to making the most out of that :-).